What Is Safebrowse.io Mac Virus?
Safebrowse.io is a search engine that directs users to fake versions of popular sites. A loyal visitor to our blog, Nickie, was a victim of an e-mail scam. The scammers sent an email that looked like it came from Safebrowse.io. They claimed Nickie’s computer had been infected and needed help. By clicking the link in the message, or if they simply opened the attachment, they were redirected to a page with instructions on how to fix their problem. As you can see, the scammers made it look like the messages were sent by Safebrowse.io. They sent email after email, claiming Nickie’s computer was infected. They even told her to download a virus scanner and run it in safe mode.
Safebrowse.io is not affiliated with any of these scams or emails. The domain name Safebrowse was registered in March of 2014 and has nothing to do with e-mails scams.
How Is Safebrowse.io Mac Virus Distributed?
Mac users might get this virus by downloading free apps, clicking on ads, downloading updates or social media files, or even through a phishing scam. Cyber criminals use the lure of free stuff to trick users into installing adware or other types of unwanted software. This Safebrowse.io Mac virus is also found bundled with legitimate software in illegal distribution channels.
Once installed, Safebrowse.io homepage can appear on every browser window you open. It helps the cyber crooks promote their products and services for affiliate marketing profit. It’s a new form of cyber crime, where they try to make money by promoting other products and services. This may result in serious financial losses for you.
- Third party installation of software
- Browsing malicious websites/redirect from legitimate websites
- Mail attachments containing malware download links
- File downloads containing malware download links
- Infected devices connected to your computer/network etc.
How harmful is Safebrowse.io hijacker?
It is not harmful if you ignore it. However, you might be convinced to download bogus security software and other programs that can infect your Mac. It is just not a good idea to install any rogue computer software on your Mac. In some cases, Safebrowse.io is also able to install other malicious programs on your Mac. It may be hard for you to remove it from your system because of the low-level effects. The virus changes the default settings of your Mac, which make it difficult for you to do a thorough scan and disinfection.
How did I get infected?
You probably got infected by clicking on an unknown file, which was attached to a message and sent from an unknown sender. You might have also downloaded free apps, music or updates from the web. Anything that came from the web could be carrying the Safebrowse.io virus. You might also have gotten infected from clicking on an ad on a suspicious site. This is a browser hijacker and it usually comes bundled with some legitimate software.
The best way to keep off such threats in future is to always use updated Anti-virus software, along with Anti-spyware tool.
How can I remove Safebrowse.io virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall Safebrowse.io and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to Safebrowse.io virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove Safebrowse.io – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove Safebrowse.io files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
Safebrowse.io malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of Safebrowse.io?
Safebrowse.io is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of Safebrowse.io infection in your Mac?
Safebrowse.io becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through Safebrowse.io.com
The “Safebrowse.io” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove Safebrowse.io from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall Safebrowse.io?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)
- More about pop-up advertisements on Wikipedia.
- MacOS malware
- SpyHunter Anti-Malware overview and also the reasons why we recommend it for malware elimination.
Safebrowse.io may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with Safebrowse.io!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.