What is MAC.OSX.Frankie
MAC.OSX.Frankie is the name of a Trojan horse virus. It stealthily infiltrates the infected Mac, aiming to cause all sorts of damages on the system. This parasite can spy on your activity and obtain your personal information. That being said, you do not want to keep it on your computer unattended. You need to get rid of this virus as soon as you detect it, in order to protect your system and private data. This article will help you in this task.
How it is distributed
Trojan viruses are known to spread through ‘bundled’ software, freeware, torrent files, email attachments, infected ads, fake update messages, etc. When installing programs on your Mac, make sure to uncheck the boxes next to any additional software. In most cases, such bonus content is actually a parasite in disguise, searching for a way in. If you do not opt out of such optional installations, the parasite in question will automatically get installed on your computer without your knowledge. That’s why it is very important to be careful when you deal with software that you’ve downloaded from unreliable sources on the internet.
How it operates
Trojan infections like MAC.OSX.Frankie do not necessarily get active as soon as they penetrate the system. It might take some time before they get active. That’s why they are so hard to detect at first. But when they start to cause problems, you’ll notice it straight away. Common symptoms of Trojan infections include but are not limited to slow internet speed, unresponsive apps, modified Registry, corrupted or deleted files, large amount of advertisements, installation of shady software that you don’t even remember installing, etc. It is important to note, that thanks to this virus, cyber criminals may be able to spy on you – both physically and online. They can monitor what sites you visit, what you do on your computer, or see and hear you through your web cam or microphone. That’s a total breach of privacy! And, accompanied by the serious damages on your computer system, the MAC.OSX.Frankie proves to be a nightmare! The only way to secure your privacy and save your Mac from severe damages, is if you remove this Trojan virus as soon as possible! The longer you delay, the worse the consequences of this infection will get!
Staying safe from MAC.OSX.Frankie Trojan horse
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove MAC.OSX.Frankie Trojan horse from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the MAC.OSX.Frankie Trojan Horse, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. First, start by finding all registry entries added by MAC.OSX.Frankie and deleting them. You do this by holding down the Option key while looking at the Go menu in Finder to access the ~/Library folder. Find all related entries and delete them one by one.
2. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
3. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
4. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
5. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
6. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to MAC.OSX.Frankie. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
7. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
8. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to MAC.OSX.Frankie from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.