What is MAC.OSX.Crisis
MAC.OSX.Crisis is the detection name for malicious software from the Trojan Horse category. This virus is incredibly stealthy and dangerous. Once it penetrates the system, it is capable of doing severe damages, as well as stealing personal information. That being said, you do not want this parasite to infect your Mac.
How it is distributed
The most common distribution methods used by this Trojan horse are freeware, software bundles, fake update messages, torrent files, infected ads, and even email attachments. Often, the user will stumble upon an ad or an in-browser pop-up that urges for a software update (i.e. Flash Player). What actually happens when the user decides to carry out this installation, is that they’re giving a parasite access to their computer. That’s why we highly advise to get your software updates from the developer’s official page, instead of trusting a random pop-up message. Also, be very careful when installing software that you’ve downloaded from the internet. It is best to decline any optional installations, since they often turn out to be malicious applications in disguise.
How it operates
Trojan horses are one of the most dangerous types of viruses. It has the power to corrupt and delete files, modify the Registry, install other unreliable software, make apps unresponsive, slow down the internet connection, as well as spy on you – both virtually and online. Through this parasite, hackers may be able to spy on you by taking control over your web cam and microphone. Not just that, but your online presence will be exposed. Cyber criminals will monitor your activity – what pages you’re visiting, your search queries, etc. Such information is very beneficial to hackers, since other third-parties would pay money for it. Sadly, not just your web data is in danger. Your personal files, passwords, IP addresses, credit card numbers and other sensitive information may be obtained. The only way to ensure your system’s safety and protect your privacy, is by removing the MAC.OSX.Crisis virus as soon as you detect its presence!
Staying safe from MAC.OSX.Crisis Trojan horse
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove MAC.OSX.Crisis Trojan horse from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the MAC.OSX.Crisis Trojan Horse, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. First, start by finding all registry entries added by MAC.OSX.Crisis and deleting them. You do this by holding down the Option key while looking at the Go menu in Finder to access the ~/Library folder. Find all related entries and delete them one by one.
2. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
3. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
4. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
5. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
6. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to MAC.OSX.Crisis. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
7. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
8. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to MAC.OSX.Crisis from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.
MAC.OSX.Crisis may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with MAC.OSX.Crisis!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.