All users want the best protection when it comes to their personal data. Putting a password lock is one of the ways to be sure that you alone will have access to any private files on your device. In this article we’ll show you a step-by-step tutorial on how to password protect files on your Mac.
1. Make a new folder and transfer there the files you wish to put under a password lock.
2. Go to Disk Utility (If you don’t know how, read this article).
3. From the top menu, select File > New Image > Image from Folder.
4. Find the folder (from Step 1) and double-click it.
5. A new window will open, allowing you to rename the folder, put tags, as well as an option to put encryption. You can choose between a 128-bit or a 256-bit AES encryption. The first one is marked as a recommended choice. Basically, the 256-bit is considered more secure that the basic one. However, there is no huge difference between the two, so you’ll be fine whichever you choose.
6. Once you’ve made your choice with the encryption, another window will pop up, asking you to create and verify a password. After you’re done, click Save.
7. A new window will appear, showing you the details of the ongoing process.
8. Once the operation is successful, click Done.
9. A .dmg file of the folder will appear at the same destination as the original one. You can delete the original folder, but make sure to keep the .dmg version of it, since that’s the one with a password protection.
10. Whenever you need to get access to the folder, a window will pop up, asking you to enter the password you’ve assigned to it. All there’s left for you to do is type the password in and you’ll be granted access to the files inside the folder.
Important note: We suggest that you leave the box next to ‘Remember password in my Keychain’ unchecked, so that no one gets access to your folder through Keychain.
may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with !
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.