What is Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger
Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeylogger has been categorized by malware researchers as a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA). This malicious software is responsible for the abnormal amount of advertisements that are being shown every time you open your browser. Consequent to the heavy ad attack is your drastic drop of internet speed, as well as the constant browser crashes and overall unresponsiveness. Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeylogger manages to infiltrate the victim’s computer using all kinds of tricks. But make no mistake, it cannot hack its way on your device on its own. It will need your permission to do so.
How it is distributed
PUAs are often distributed through software download portals, fake update messages, as well as misleading ads and in-browser pop-ups. That’s why when you download software from the internet, be careful not to let any additional programs slip past by you. It is best to opt out of such bonus content, since it often turns out to be a malicious parasite, disguised as a useful application. Also, don’t trust every message alert you see when you browse the internet. No such ads or pop-ups can determine if a program needs an urgent update or if your device is at risk. Make sure to use reliable and official sources for your software updates, and trust only your AV application to find out if your PC is infected with a virus.
How it operates
The Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeylogger PUA uses the pay-per-click method, in order to generate revenue for its creators. The parasite will monitor your online activity and collect web data like frequently visited pages and search results, so it can provide targeted advertisements you’ll be most likely to click on. But the thing is, web information is not the only thing this PUA can get its hands on. It may be able to steal your IP address, credit card numbers, bank accounts, Login credentials, passwords, etc. Also, as a consequence of the malicious actions taken by the PUA, your web browser will stop working properly, making your browsing a hellish experience. No matter which site you want to visit, your screen will be swarmed with intrusive ad content, your internet will become slower than ever before, and your web browser will become completely unresponsive to your actions, no matter how many times you try to restart it. The only way to return to a normal web browser experience and protect your privacy, is by removing the Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeylogger PUA from your Mac device ASAP!
Staying safe from Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger PUA
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger PUA from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger PUA, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to Application.MAC.OSX.AoboKeyLogger from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.
may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with !
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.