What is Search.borderov.com
Search.borderov.com is a website linked to browser hijacker activity on your Mac. If you frequently get redirected to this page and constantly see it every time you open your browser – you’re in big trouble. A parasite has managed to sneak on your device and is now wreaking havoc on your web browsers. Your homepage and search engine will be replaced with this website, and your screen will get flooded with suspicious ads, aiming to make you click on them. Personal information stored on your browser can be at risk, if this parasite is left unattended, but what’s even worse – every step you take online will be monitored by cyber criminals. This hijacker will cause your browser to stop working properly, so it is best to remove the threat as soon as you can, before it is able to do any more damages to your Mac.
How it is distributed
Browser hijackers can get distributed through software bundling, infected ads, shady links, torrent files, email attachments, fake update messages, etc. What usually happens is that the parasite manages to slip through, posing as a bonus program during the installation process. Due to the user’s carelessness, the malicious app manages to get automatically installed, even if the victim did not directly authorize the action. This can be avoided, if you pay close attention to the install setup. Be diligent. Do not skip any steps out of laziness. If you find any additional programs that are unfamiliar to you, or don’t want – opt out of them. More often than not, such bonus content turns out to be malware in disguise.
How it operates
Search.borderov.com is a typical browser hijacker-related website. It can appear as your homepage, or as a separate new tab. The parasite is capable of altering your browser settings, so it can be free to carry out its malicious plan. It is not uncommon for the hijacker to install shady applications, add-ons and other extensions on your browser, without needing your authorization. Every time you open your web browser, your screen will get flooded with numerous advertisements. The pest will even interrupt your online videos for extra commercial breaks. As a result of the extensive ad intrusions, your web application will stop working properly. It will feel sluggish, and can even freeze randomly. The hijacker is programmed to generate revenue via the pay-per-click scheme. That’s why this malicious software monitors your online activity – to collect relevant data that can help it produce attractive advertisements that you’ll be more likely to click on. Browsing history, passwords, web queries, IP addresses, and even bank account information can be easily obtained and shared with other third-parties for money. In order to go back to a normal and safe browsing experience, you need to remove the Search.borderov.com hijacker from your Mac as soon as you detect its presence!
Staying safe from Search.borderov.com browser hijacker
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims.
Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove Search.borderov.com browser hijacker from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the Search.borderov.com Browser Hijacker, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to Search.borderov.com. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to Search.borderov.com from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
– Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons‘.
– Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove‘.
For Google Chrome extensions:
– Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
– Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
– Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
– Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall‘. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.