What Is Goodcaptcha.top Mac Virus?
Goodcaptcha.top falls under the category of Mac browser hijacker virus. It is a type of malware that displays misleading advertisements, undesired pop-ups, fake system notifications and security alerts full of lies to scare users into downloading and buying its rogue security products. Goodcaptcha.top virus can hijack all popular web browsers like Chrome, Safari and Firefox without user’s permission. Goodcaptcha.top will try to change your default browser homepage and search engine. It may also download various junk files to slow down your computer and make it useless. You should not rely on the security alerts released by Goodcaptcha.top because these are all fake alerts created with an intention to convince you that your computer is full of viruses, Trojans and other malware, so that you will purchase its fake security product for a fee.
How Is Goodcaptcha.top Mac Virus Distributed?
Goodcaptcha.top is often bundled with third party apps and downloaded with free downloads, where it can be installed without user’s consent. Users should not download any software from untrusted websites and even more, they should not install any software unless they are sure of its source. Users should not click any links in pop – ups, as most of them redirect to scam websites. If a website asks you to install an app, be sure to check its source before installing it. If a webpage has a gray toolbar button, it is most likely that Goodcaptcha.top virus is hidden in there. If your Mac downloads a software from said website, your computer will be infected with Goodcaptcha.top virus along with other rogue apps.
How harmful is Goodcaptcha.top hijacker?
Goodcaptcha.top Mac virus is extremely harmful because it can steal your personal data, introduce unwanted applications and change browser settings. It can alter your browser homepage and search engine, download unwanted toolbars and extensions, interfere with your internet connection and put your Mac at risk of other malicious viruses. Goodcaptcha.top virus has a tendency to disable or corrupt essential system files and components, affecting all applications installed on your Mac.
How did I get infected?
Goodcaptcha.top virus is potentially very harmful because it can attack your Mac when you are least expecting it. It can penetrate into your system via freeware, shareware and torrents websites, so be very careful when downloading any file from unverified websites. The best way to protect your system against Goodcaptcha.top is to install Mac cleaner, antivirus, anti malware tools and firewall together with advanced security software.
How can I remove Goodcaptcha.top virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall Goodcaptcha.top and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to Goodcaptcha.top virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove Goodcaptcha.top – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove Goodcaptcha.top files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
Goodcaptcha.top malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of Goodcaptcha.top?
Goodcaptcha.top is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of Goodcaptcha.top infection in your Mac?
Goodcaptcha.top becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through Goodcaptcha.top.com
The “Goodcaptcha.top” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove Goodcaptcha.top from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall Goodcaptcha.top?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)