What is Mhptask
Mhptask, also known as Mac Heal Pro is a malicious app from the PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) category. It is programmed to display numerous intrusive advertisements on your screen, which will promote other unreliable software. This parasite will also display fake error messages, aiming to tick you into installing other unreliable software on your computer, which may carry dangerous viruses. That being said, you don’t want this application on your Mac. So, if you detect its presence on your device, you need to remove it ASAP, before it is able to cause any damages.
How it is distributed
Typically, Mhptask (or Mac Heal Pro) gets distributed via freeware and software bundles. But, it can also be installed directly, as it can be seen promoted as a useful tool on unreliable third-party websites, you may be redirected to. It is common for additional software to get promoted during an installation process. We highly recommend you to not agree to such bonus installations. More often than not, they turn out to be malware in disguise. What you need to do, is to always opt for a custom/advanced type of installation, so you have full power over the process. Then, look for any bonus apps and opt out of their installation. If you fail to do that, they’ll get installed on your Mac by default without you even realizing it.
How it operates
Shortly after a successful installation, Mhptask will start performing all sorts of malicious tasks on your computer. It will pretend to scan your system, and produce a list of supposedly found threats. In order to remove them, it will urge you to either purchase its full version, or install other type of software. It is important to note that Mhptask (Mac Heal Pro) can be very convincing. But don’t let it fool you! Nothing good will come from keeping this app on your Mac. You just put your private data at risk! Don’t expose information like credit card numbers, bank account credentials, etc. by doing this parasite’s bidding! It’s exactly what it wants. When you notice this malicious application’s presence, you need to immediately delete it from your PC. But this action alone will not erase all traces of it, which is why you need to be thorough and remove every little file it has left behind. This article can help you with this task. Simply follow the instructions below.
Staying safe from Mhptask
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove Mhptask (Mac Heal Pro) from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the Mhptask PUA, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to Mhptask (Mac Heal Pro). If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to Mhptask (Mac Heal Pro) from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.