After the big annual event which took place in Cupertino, California this Tuesday, Apple quietly announced that the new macOS update Catalina is coming in October. The announcement was made on the macOS Catalina page.
As we mentioned in previous articles, Apple plans to replace the iTunes app in Catalina, and replace them with three separate apps – Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV.
Mac users will also be able to run iPad apps, which will be available for download at the Mac App Store. Another useful feature will be the possibility of using an iPad as a secondary screen.
Unfortunately, the company plans to withdraw support for 32-bit apps and games in the new macOS update. Due to this, users must make sure that they’re running 64-bit versions of the installed apps, before they upgrade to Catalina.
If you don’t know how to check for 32-bit apps, here’s what you have to do:
1. Go to Apple menu (the apple icon) > About This Mac > System Report.
2. Scroll down the System Report menu and select Software > Applications.
3. Click on any app and you’ll be able to see information about it, including a field labeled 64-Bit (Intel). If next to it is written No, then you have a 32-bit version of this app. If it says Yes, then it’s 64-bit.
4. If have a 32-bit app, check if a 64-bit version of ti is available. If there isn’t one, you have two options – find a replacement, or postpone the macOS update until a 64-bit version of the app is available.
How to prepare for the Catalina update
Before you move to macOS Catalina, it is best to do the following steps to ensure that the Catalina update is completed without any problems:
- Backup your files. It is best to be prepared, in case something goes wrong during the installation. After all, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Check if you have enough free space. Apple advised that users should have about 20GB of free storage, in order to install macOS Catalina. The size of the OS download is around 6.5GB.
- Make sure you have/remember your Apple ID. If you’re a new Apple user, you should get an Apple ID and be able to log in iCloud.