What is MAC.OSX.NetWeird
MAC.OSX.NetWeird is the detection name for a Trojan horse infection that has taken place on a Mac device. Once this virus gets active after a successful infiltration, it will cause so many damages, making the use of your computer a real nightmare. This Trojan can steal your data, damage the system, and may even spy on you! You don’t wan this pest lurking on your Mac. That being said, you need to remove this virus ASAP, before it is able to do damages beyond repair!
How it is distributed
The most common distribution methods of the MAC.OSX.NetWeird Trojan are fake update messages, freeware, torrent files, software bundles, email attachments, infected pop-ups and ads. What usually happens is this – a user sees a random pop-up on their screen while browsing. The message will prompt them to update or install software on their computer for various reasons. In most cases, it is a fake update message for Flash player. Never trust such random pop-ups! Always get your software updates from the developer’s official page! Also, be on the lookout for any additional software during the installation, since that’s how malicious software is known to be able to sneak onto the system. If you’re not careful enough, such bonus content will automatically get installed on your computer without your knowledge or authorization.
How it operates
Trojan viruses are no joke. They have the ability to cause overheating, modify the Registry, corrupt/delete files and important processes, install other shady junk, slow down significantly the overall performance of your PC, etc. The existence of the MAC.OSX.NetWeird poses a real threat to your private data. Cyber criminals may exploit the virus to obtain data like passwords, IP addresses, credit card numbers, and other sensitive information, which can be shared with other third-parties for profit. As if that’s not bad enough, hackers may be able to spy on you through your web cam and microphone, or directly monitor what pages you visit on the internet in real time. That’s a total security breach! And, as time goes by, the worse the consequences will get! Which is why you must not waste time. Remove the MAC.OSX.NetWeird Trojan by following the instructions in this article!
Staying safe from MAC.OSX.NetWeird Trojan horse
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove MAC.OSX.NetWeird Trojan horse from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the MAC.OSX.NetWeird Trojan Horse, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. First, start by finding all registry entries added by MAC.OSX.NetWeird and deleting them. You do this by holding down the Option key while looking at the Go menu in Finder to access the ~/Library folder. Find all related entries and delete them one by one.
2. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
3. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
4. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
5. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
6. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to MAC.OSX.NetWeird. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
7. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
8. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to MAC.OSX.NetWeird from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.
MAC.OSX.NetWeird may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with MAC.OSX.NetWeird!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.