What Is SearchB Mac Virus?
SearchB is known as a browser hijacker that infects Mac and replaces Safari’s default search. When the virus infects your computer, unwanted ads will pop up on websites. It might also collect browsing data. It is important to remove SearchB because it causes embarrassment, frustration, and aggravation for many people who use macs. More importantly, this virus can cause cyber-attacks and steal personal information from your machine. If the virus is not removed, data may be stolen from you that could include credit card numbers and other sensitive information. SearchB is a virus that targets the popular Mac OS X operating system and replaces Safari’s default search. On the web browser, you will see the search bar turn into SearchB. When infected, the virus may also start redirecting user searches to other websites and replace or hijack your search settings. SearchB may also display advertisements that are created by its authors on infected machines. These pop-ups can be very annoying and users who are affected by SearchB should take steps to remove this infection from their devices as soon as possible.
How Is SearchB Mac Virus Distributed?
SearchB is distributed via deceptive methods. Users may get tricked into installing the malware by various methods that include:
1.By installing applications from suspicious websites or directly from peer to peer (P2P) file sharing sites.
2.By opening spam emails and attachments.
3.When downloading files from websites.
The virus may come bundled with free software such as video players, download managers or PDF creators. When a user downloads and installs such free software, the SearchB bundle will also be automatically downloaded and installed onto your machine.
How harmful is SearchB hijacker?
The hijacker is not exactly a harmful threat but it may bring in other threats to your system. Once the virus is installed and activated, it may begin to collect various information such as the users’ browsing history. Normally the information is collected by the cyber criminals for commercial purposes such as targeted advertisements and customized marketing offers. The collected data can include information about your search queries, IP address and even some of your private data like bank account numbers, social security number among other personal details that you may use for online shopping or when buying an insurance policy. The collected data may be used for identity theft and other malicious activities. Cyber criminals may use the information to commit fraud or even cyber-attacks on your Mac. SearchB redirect virus should be taken seriously. Users whose computers are infected with such viruses should take immediate steps to remove SearchB hijacker from their machines.. If you have already installed the virus, then it is possible that you have a remote access trojan (RAT) infection on your machine.
How did I get infected?
It is likely that you have picked up the virus because you were tricked into downloading it by a cyber criminal as part of an online phishing scam. Meanwhile, other viruses that are tied to SearchB may be able to steal information and damage your computer. For example, if you search the Internet using the default search engine provided by your browser, it is possible that your information may be compromised by malicious hackers. Your search data may include sensitive information such as credit card details and other personal information you use during online shopping. The cyber criminals may use this information to perpetrate various scams and cyber-attacks on your machine.
How can I Remove SearchB virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall SearchB and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to SearchB virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove SearchB – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove SearchB files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
SearchB malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of SearchB?
SearchB is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of SearchB infection in your Mac?
SearchB becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through SearchB.com
The “SearchB” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove SearchB from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall SearchB?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)
- More about pop-up advertisements on Wikipedia.
- MacOS malware
- SpyHunter Anti-Malware overview and also the reasons why we recommend it for malware elimination.
SearchB may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with SearchB!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.