What Is NetConnection Mac Virus?
NetConnection is a browser hijacker that tricks users into installing it with the pretense of enhancing their search experience. It belongs to the Adload malware family which has adware and hijacking capabilities. Once installed, NetConnection will change your browser’s home page and new tab page to a questionable search engine. NetConnection may also display third party advertisements on the computer screen, or may change your browser’s search provider to a third party website. The official developer of NetConnection is unknown. NetConnection does not come from the official store and its developer is unknown. Most likely, it was bundled with freeware that was distributed via torrents or other file-sharing websites.
How Is NetConnection Mac Virus Distributed?
NetConnection is a browser hijacker that displays advertisements and redirects search results to third party websites. It is packaged with freeware, typically in conjunction with a torrent file. Typically, the infection is distributed via infected links or files attached to spam emails. Cyber criminals will send out spam emails with deceptive content and a link that directs to the malicious file. Some of the emails are legit, like those coming from a bank or credit card company. The emails may include links to receipts or transaction confirmations. You may also get infected through an email attachment, especially if it is an executable file from a suspicious source. Cybercriminals will either use macros in Office documents or trick users into downloading .pdf files with malicious macros embedded in them. The .pdf files are normally sent from email addresses that appear to be from legitimate businesses. They include a link to the malicious content and imply that the document will help you in a business matter.
How harmful is NetConnection hijacker?
The hijacker searches the web and collects data in order to support ad-based revenue generation. When it comes to third party advertisements, they are usually used to promote websites dealing in online betting, online shopping, gaming, RaaS (Ransomware as a Service), fake software updates and applications that will harm your computer. This malware is known as adware or browser hijackers because they are designed to open web pages and display unwanted ads from the supported websites.
How did I get infected?
Most common way of getting this virus is by installing freeware from unknown source. If you notice NetConnection hijacker on your computer, then you should try the removal steps shown below. If it does not get removed, then it will continue to collect data and build a database to support the revenue generation model of ad-based advertisement. However, if you want to remove NetConnection virus manually, follow the steps provided below.
You can either perform a manual removal with free tools or use automatic malware removers.
How can I remove NetConnection virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall NetConnection and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to NetConnection virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove NetConnection – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove NetConnection files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
NetConnection malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of NetConnection?
NetConnection is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of NetConnection infection in your Mac?
NetConnection becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through NetConnection.com
The “NetConnection” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove NetConnection from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall NetConnection?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)
- More about pop-up advertisements on Wikipedia.
- MacOS malware
- Information on Browser Hijackers
- SpyHunter Anti-Malware overview and also the reasons why we recommend it for malware elimination.
NetConnection may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with NetConnection!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.