What is MyCouponsmart
MyCouponsmart is advertised as a useful program, which will supposedly find you the best offers and coupons online. In reality, this is malicious software from the PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) category. It is responsible for the numerous intrusive advertisements being displayed every time you open your web browser. This parasite is also programmed to collect your private data and share it with its creators and other third-parties for profit.
How it is distributed
MyCouponsmart has its own official website, where you can directly download it. Other than that, this parasite can also spread via freeware, torrent files, software bundles, fake update messages, infected ads and links, as well as email attachments. It is very common for shady software to be included in the installer of a program you’ve downloaded from the internet. If you fail to notice its presence, it will automatically get installed without your knowledge and permission. To avoid this, we highly recommend opting for a custom/advanced installation, so you have full power over what is being given access to your Mac. If you see any optional installations, uncheck the boxes next to them, so they don’t get installed with the program you originally wanted to install on your computer.
How it operates
As mentioned, this PUP will flood your screen with a large amount of aggressive adverts. What’s more, they will be specifically created to appear more attractive to you. How? Once the parasite gets installed, it will start monitoring your online activity and spy on you. Every page you visit, your search queries, passwords, bank account credentials, etc. – all web data will be collected and used for its own benefit. Such information will give it the power to produced targeted ads, which you’ll be most likely to click on. For each click you make, the parasite will get paid. But there’s more. You never know where the dubious ads will take you. You may get redirected to unreliable sources, seeking to harm your Mac, and even potentially infect it with more threats. What’s worse, your browser will soon become unresponsive to your actions, since it will be too overwhelmed by the enormous quantity of ads thrown its way. The only way to regain control over your browser and protect your online privacy is by removing the MyCouponsmart PUP from your Mac as soon as you detect its presence!
Staying safe from MyCouponsmart PUP
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove MyCouponsmart PUP from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the MyCouponsmart PUP, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to MyCouponsmart. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to MyCouponsmart from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.
MyCouponsmart may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with MyCouponsmart!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.