What Is Feed Chunk App Mac Virus?
Feed Chunk is an app that can hijack your browser and redirect you to a search engine owned by Feed Chunk. It will push advertisements through its own search engine, which could make you end up on websites with lots of pop-ups and sponsored content. If you have been redirected to a page that has ads or sponsored content, close the window. Next, remove the Feed Chunk app from your Mac. According to an analysis on the threat, as soon as you install it, Feed Chunk will install itself in the system, if it has not already done so. If you are affected by the Feed Chunk app, start with running a full system scan with your antivirus.
How Is Feed Chunk App Mac Virus Distributed?
Despite its name, the Mac Feed Chunk app is not an official app. It is not available through the Apple Mac App Store, nor has it been endorsed by Apple. For that reason alone, you should avoid downloading it. However, if you were affected by it, then you might have downloaded it from a website promoting it as a reliable browser tool. In fact, the promotion may even claim that your browser will run faster if you install the Feed Chunk app. Such claims are more than likely lies and should be ignored.
How harmful is Feed Chunk App hijacker?
Once the app is installed, it will do its best to stay up and running. It does this by hiding in the background and exploiting certain functions of your browser. If you have noticed any issues with how your current browser runs, there is a possibility that the Feed Chunk app has something to do with it. In fact, there is a chance that it is responsible for all of the issues you are experiencing. While running in the background, the app will start redirecting your browser to its search engine. Doing so will not only slow down your browser, but it could cause you to have to deal with pop-ups and rich content that are placed by Feed Chunk for advertising purposes. If you have been redirected to a website filled with advertisements and in-text links, then your Mac may be infected with Feed Chunk hijacker virus.
How did I get infected?
Feed Chunk hijacker was able to install itself on your Mac because you have been exposed to various types of malware and browser threats. You probably encountered an ad on a popular website that most people visit. A malicious advertisement could have forced you to download the Feed Chunk app. It could also have asked you to allow it to run in the background while visiting other sites. This can be done through pop-ups, special requests, or redirects that come from the “System Configuration” folder on the Mac.
How can I remove Feed Chunk App virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall Feed Chunk App and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to Feed Chunk App virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove Feed Chunk App – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove Feed Chunk App files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
Feed Chunk App malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of Feed Chunk App?
Feed Chunk App is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of Feed Chunk App infection in your Mac?
Feed Chunk App becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through Feed Chunk App.com
The “Feed Chunk App” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove Feed Chunk App from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall Feed Chunk App?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)