ElvenLegend is a malicious piece of code. It’s usually attached to a Trojan named “Google Chrome for Mac OS X Downloader”. It also spreads through Flash, PDF and iWork files. It’s main purpose is to cause constant unwanted pop-up ads which can lead to potentially unsafe websites. This article aims to show you how you can remove ElvenLegend from your Mac effectively and easily.
What Is ElvenLegend?
ElvenLegend is a typical Adware trojan. It usually starts in the background and remains invisible. If ElvenLegend infects your Mac, it can affect the start page immediately by adding a new tab page and search engine to your default web browser. It also saturates your screen with numerous ads, and can alter system settings with the purpose to redirect you to dangerous sites. ElvenLegend hijacker is executed automatically once the browser is launched. It may have the ability to allows third parties to infect your computer via the backdoor. ElvenLegend can be removed manually from your computer but in order to get rid of all its components and associated programs you need to employ an anti-malware tool.
How is ElvenLegend distributed?
The hijacker is distributed through malicious e-mails, instant messages and spam. In addition, it can be bundled with other freeware programs or installers that are typically distributed with other applications, for example game launchers. Once installed on the target computer through various methods of distribution and installation (e.g., from a Trojan), ElvenLegend enters the system without user’s consent. It then gets executed automatically when the user launches their browser. It acts as any other browser extension.
What does ElvenLegend do?
Being categorized as a hijacker, ElvenLegend can make changes to your default browser settings without your permission. This can, in turn, lead to internet search engine related issues and data loss. The hijacker can create an additional toolbar, change your default browser search engine and hasten the process of redirecting you to third-party web pages. So far the Trojan is not considered a serious threat to your system but should it stay on your machine, it can put you at risk of reported symptoms. To stop ElvenLegend from spying on your online activities and avoid the risk of malware infections, keep away from the numerous ads and remove the unwanted program from your Mac as soon as possible.
How to Remove ElvenLegend from your Mac?
How can I Remove ElvenLegend virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall ElvenLegend and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to ElvenLegend virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove ElvenLegend – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove ElvenLegend files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
ElvenLegend malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of ElvenLegend?
ElvenLegend is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of ElvenLegend infection in your Mac?
ElvenLegend becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through ElvenLegend.com
The “ElvenLegend” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove ElvenLegend from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall ElvenLegend?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)