What is Alertsp.club
Alertsp.club is a malicious redirect, which uses scare tactics to make you share your personal information and buy unreliable software. This redirect falls into the browser hijacker category. Do not under any circumstances do as the redirect tells you to! As soon as you notice the presence of Alertsp.club, you need to remove it from your Mac before it is able to do any damage beyond repair!
How it is distributed
A browser hijacker like Alertsp.club is most commonly distributed via freeware and software ‘bundling’. Usually, malicious software poses as ‘additional’ content, which gets installed by default, along with the program you desire. Of course, there’s a way to prevent such unwanted installations. To do this, simply opt for a custom/advanced type of installation process. Then, look for any bonus content included in the installer. If there’s any, opt out of them, so they don’t get access to your Mac. Other ways this redirect can infiltrate your Mac is through infected ads, fake update messages, and email attachments.
How it operates
When the Alertsp.club redirect shows up on your screen, it will say the following:
Dear Apple Mac OS X Customer.
We Detected Unwanted Pop-Ups on Your Mac
Call Apple Support : 1-844-313-5021 (Toll Free)
Your Apple Support Id is: 401913
Highly Recommended Phone Call.
Of course, there could be other phone numbers involved in this scam, depending on the URL addresses and landing pages:
1-844-313-5021 (Toll Free)
You are re-directed to Apple Support because your mac is infected with Pop-ups and Aw-ware virus. Please call Apple Support 1-844-313-5021 (Toll Free) to get this issue resolved.
The redirect will appear every time you open your browser. Its main goal is to make you believe that your Mac has been infected by a nasty virus, and to get rid of it, you need to contact Apple Support. The thing is, the phone number in this redirect is fake and does not lead to the actual Apple Support team. Instead, you’ll be connected to scammers, who will try to trick you into giving sensitive information like IP addresses, bank account credentials, etc. and will most likely make you purchase shady software, to supposedly remove the viruses on your PC.
As a typical hijacker, this threat will also modify your browser, collect web data like browser history and search results, to provide targeted advertisements you’ll be most likely to click on. Why? To create revenue for its creators via the pay-per-click method. As a consequence of these aggressive advertisement tactics, your browser will become unresponsive to your actions, until it fails to work completely.
If you wish to protect your device and private data, follow the instructions in this article and remove the Alertsp.club redirect ASAP!
Staying safe from Alertsp.club
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove Alertsp.club redirect from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the Alertsp.club browser hijacker, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to Alertsp.club. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to Alertsp.club from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.