What Is ElementForce Mac Virus?
ElementForce is a malicious adware that targets Mac devices. The company claims that the software is to be used for video editing, but it is not possible to find any links for the software on their website. ElementForce displays fraudulent ads and pop-ups that lead to their webpage. The main culprit of the malware is the backdoor module, which has remote control capabilities over a computer with an infected OS X system. This can lead to information theft and data manipulation. The malware injects itself into system processes and then executes malicious tasks in the background. The primary objective of the backdoor is to steal user data and use it for additional revenue generation. The program connects to a remote server, allowing remote access and monitoring of the infected operating system. It is known that the ElementForce malware has already affected a few thousand computers, so it is recommended to take action as soon as possible.
How Is ElementForce Mac Virus Distributed?
- Through malvertisements, which are malicious ads that display on legitimate websites. The ad may be presented as a fake security alert, claim to fix system errors or warn about the presence of viruses. If the user clicks on the ad and downloads a malicious file in order to solve problems, it will infect his system with Element Force Mac virus.
- Through File-sharing websites: If a user downloads and opens an infected file, he can get an adware infection.
- Through fake software updaters: These applications claim to update Flash Player, Java Player and other programs, but they are not to be trusted.
- Spam emails: The cyber criminals send out emails that contain malicious attachments or download links leading to compromised websites, where users can get infected with
How harmful is ElementForce hijacker?
ElementForce Mac virus creates a fake security alert that claims that the computer is infected with a virus and needs to be cleaned from any malicious processes. The malware changes the user’s browser settings so that the affected user will see these alerts every time he attempts to open new pages in order to get information about his infected computer, therefore increasing his chances of seeing fake security alerts. Once the user agrees to delete any suspicious files, the malware will automatically delete them. ElementForce malware is a dangerous application that belongs to the adware category. It is capable of displaying various ads on your screen, which most likely will lead to malicious websites and even more malware. These ads will be able to track you online activity and collect even more of your personal information. The pop-ups can be really misleading, because they may look like real messages from Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
How did I get infected?
You may have gotten ElementForce Mac Virus installed on your Mac by visiting a website with an infected ad. The attacker used a deceptive system to make you trust their website and download ElementForce malware. Once you click the button that said that your computer is in need of cleaning, the adware application will be installed on your computer. You will get redirected to several fraudulent sites and get infected with ElementForce Mac virus.
How can I Remove ElementForce virus ?
Step 1: Uninstall ElementForce and remove related files and objects
- Open your Finder –> Click on GO –>Click on Utilities
- Find Activity Monitor and open it
- Review all the processes in Activity Monitor and write down the ones related to ElementForce virus
- Select Quit
- To kill the malicious process, choose the Force Quit option.
Step 2: Remove ElementForce – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
The first thing you need to do is to make sure Safari is not running. If you have troubles closing it, you may need to Force Quit Safari - (Start Activity Monitor by opening up Finder, then proceed to Application --> Utilities --> Activity monitor. Locate the Safari process and force quit it.
Safely launch Safari again by holding the Shift key and clicking on the Safari application icon - This will prevent Safari’s previously opened malicious web pages.
In case that you still are having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages, please do the following:
- Force Quit Safari again.
- Disconnect form Internet and try again.
Then Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button to prevent pop-ups. Then, click on Preferences.
- Carefully take a look at your default home page and change it if the hijacker altered it.
- Then go to the Extensions tab and make sure there are no unknow extensions installed.
- Next step is to click on Privacy tab
- Manage website data
- Here you can remove any unwanted website data or just remove them all. Please, keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
- The next step is to Clear History (if you want), select the tab.
- Click the menu next to clear and choose a time period — if you want to completely reset Safari, choose all history.
- Press Clear History
- To remove from Chrome, open the browser and click the icon with the three dots located in the top-right.
- Select to More Tools --> Extensions and review what Chrome Extensions are present in the browser
- Remove the ones that you do not recognize.
- If the parasite continues to disrupt your browsing with Chrome, this is what else you can do:
- Click again the menu of Google Chrome, and open Settings.
- Select the Search Engine from the left panel, review the available search engines and change the default to your preference.
- Then, click on Manage Search Engines, review the list of search engine availabilities and if any of the listed items looks suspicious, click the three-dots next to them, and delete.
- Click on Privacy and Security in the left panel, select the Clear browsing data option, check every box except the Passwords one, and click Clear Data.
- Next step is to clear Notifications, select the Site settings option in the Privacy and Security section, then locate Notifications.
- Review the listed websites in the Allow to send notifications section and if any of the entries shown there seem dubious or related to the browser hijacker, select the three dots next to the object and click on Remove.
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- On the top right click the three dashes
- go to add-ons and themes
- The add-ons manager will open
- Carefully review review four Firefox Extensions
- If any unwanted extension is present, click on the three horizontal dots and then Remove
- After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red dot in the top left and start it again.
Step 3: Scan for and remove ElementForce files from your Mac
Fix your browser settings with SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Once you download and install SpyHunter for Mac run a scan.
Once the scan is complete, your mac will be virus free.
ElementForce malware Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get rid of ElementForce?
ElementForce is a Browser hijacker – malicious software that can be installed by third-party applications or websites. They usually change the settings of web browsers and search engines to display certain ads, pop-ups, banners, etc.
- What are the symptoms of ElementForce infection in your Mac?
ElementForce becomes your web browser’s built-in search engine.
Your browser’ s search queries are redirected through ElementForce.com
The “ElementForce” browser extension or some shady software is installed on your Mac.
- How do I remove ElementForce from my browser?
In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top left and select Manage add-ons. Under Add-on Types, select Search Providers. Select your search engine from the list of providers and click Remove to remove it. In Google Chrome, go to Settings (at the top right) and choose Search in the On Startup drop down menu.
- How do I uninstall ElementForce?
How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
You might be wondering how to make your Mac run faster? It is a common misconception that the more processing power you have, the faster your computer will run. In reality, it’s actually about what’s going on in your processor and memory. For the average person using a computer for just general applications like word processing and web browsing, you don’t need much in the way of computing power.
– Use an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive.
– Double your RAM if possible.
– Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). (Attention! – do this only if you know the consequences.)
- More about pop-up advertisements on Wikipedia.
- MacOS malware
- SpyHunter Anti-Malware overview and also the reasons why we recommend it for malware elimination.
ElementForce may have the ability to replicate itself, if not completely cleaned. This may require tracking down hundreds of files and settings. You can choose to use Spyhunter Professional Anti-Malware Program to deal with any infection that might be lurking along with ElementForce!
>>Download SpyHunter – a Professional Virus scanner and remover.
Please, have in mind that SpyHunter offers a free 15-day Trial version with full functionality. Credit card is required, no charge upfront.